Sopa de Tortilla (Tortilla Soup) with Chicken Breast Recipe
View All Section Pages
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 (1 lb.) can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained (try to locate no-added-salt brands)
- 2 onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen corn
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 tsp. parsley, minced
- Healthy tortilla chips as garnish and 3 sprigs fresh cilantro on top of soup when served
- Combine chicken and water in large pot. Place celery seed, peppercorns and garlic in a small cheesecloth.
- Tie closed and add to stockpot. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer approximately 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pot. Let stock cool. Remove saturated fat from stock.
- Add next eight ingredients; cover and simmer 30 minutes, more or less.
- Add corn and green onions and simmer 10 more minutes. Season with salt to taste (just a little will do).
- Dice chicken and add back to stockpot. Add rice and parsley.
- Heat thoroughly and garnish with tortilla chips.
Yield: 20 servings (one cup per serving)
Nutritional Analysis (per serving):
Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrate: 13.8 g
Cholesterol: 40 g
Sodium: 141 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 17 g
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services (Also published in Cookery Classics)