Moroccan Style Farro with Kale
View All Section Pages
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups water
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and chopped (about 4 cups)
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup Marcona almonds, optional
- Place the farro, water and allspice in a large saucepan. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes or until farro is tender.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and add garlic and ginger. Sauté until garlic is lightly browned.
- Add kale and continue to cook until kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Add raisins.
- Stir the kale mixture into the cooked farro. Add the vinegar, cumin and cinnamon.
- Just before serving, add the almonds.
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 281 calories
- 11 g fat
- 1.3 g sat fat
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 42 mg sodium
- 4.6 g dietary fiber
Recipe provided by Cindy Kleckner, RDN, LD, FAND