Whole Wheat Penne Pasta with Garlic, Broccoli and Parmesan
View All Section Pages
- 8 oz. whole-wheat penne or rigatoni pasta
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 medium head) or 1 pkg (10 oz.) frozen broccoli
- 1/4 cup Promise activ® Buttery Spread (this has the plant sterol in it)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- Cook penne according to package directions, adding broccoli during last three minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt Promise activ® Light Spread in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook red pepper, onion and garlic, stirring frequently for three minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring frequently for one minute. Stir in broth and add the basil and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and boil 30 seconds. To serve, toss sauce with hot penne and broccoli and sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Analysis (per serving):
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 370 mg
Protein: 12 g
Recipe provided by Meridan Zerner, MS, RDN, CSSD, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services