View All Section Pages
Stop guessing about whether your metabolism is “fast” or “slow.” Cooper Clinic’s Registered Dietitian Nutritionists can tell you how many calories you burn at rest and exactly how many calories your body needs.
In a simple breathing test, you can find out your resting metabolic rate (RMR). Even at rest, your body uses energy to maintain vital functions such as heart rate, brain function and breathing. Since everyone is different, guessing at metabolic rates or calculating calorie needs does not provide an individualized result on which to build a solid nutrition program to support your weight and fitness goals.
The RMR test is administered and written results are interpreted and discussed with you by a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
For the most accurate measurement, the RMR test should be conducted when an individual’s metabolic rate is at a true resting level. We recommend the following preparation for the RMR test:
- Fast for 12 hours prior to testing.
- Avoid exercise prior to testing.
- Refrain from stimulants such as caffeine or nicotine.
- Relax and avoid distractions while testing.
- Keep lips sealed lightly around the mouthpiece. It is important that all the air breathed out is analyzed by the RMR machine.
Resting Metabolic Rate Test and Nutrition Consultation
By pairing the RMR test with a nutrition consultation, a personalized action plan is developed specific to your nutrition and wellness goals.
- Resting metabolic rate test and written results
- One-hour initial consultation with an experienced Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
- Personalized action plan
A resting metabolic rate test is also offered as a stand-alone service.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 972.560.2655 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our appointment request form.
Download Cooper Clinic Nutrition Brochure