Grilled Pineapple with Fresh Mint and Frozen Yogurt Dessert
View All Section Pages
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup loosely-packed fresh mint
- 1 fresh pineapple, cut into 10 slices
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free or low-fat frozen vanilla yogurt
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Combine sugar and mint in food processor. Blend until mint is well incorporated into sugar.
- Transfer into a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat indoor or outdoor grill to medium heat. When grill is hot, spray with Pam Grilling Spray® or similar product. Place pineapple rings on grill and cook approximately two minutes, or until fruit begins to caramelize.
- Using a metal spatula, turn slices and continue to cook until fruit is browned slightly on second side, another 1-2 minutes.
- To serve, top each slice pineapple with 1/4 cup frozen yogurt and 1 teaspoon mint sugar. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
(Serves: 10; Serving size: 1 slice pineapple, 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt and 1 tsp mint sugar)
Fat: 0 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Protein: 1 g
Sodium: 10 mg
Carbs: 25 g
Note: Grilling fruit (not just pineapple), caramelizes the natural sugar in the fruit and makes the fruit taste even more sweet and richly flavored. Pineapple is an excellent source of vitamin C; a water-soluble vitamin that is also an antioxidant and protects cells against free radicals, molecules that can cause cell damage and play a role in heart health, cancer and other diseases. This recipe for grilled pineapple also includes mint, a natural digestive and a terrific low-calorie flavor enhancer.
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, and Cooper Clinic Nutrition.