Heart-Smart, Veggie-Filled Lasagna
View All Section Pages
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into ¼ in.-thick slices
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion (frozen is fine)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- ¾ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup (8 oz.) fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 (8 oz.) package precooked whole-wheat noodles
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¼ in.-thick slices
- 1 ½ cups (6 oz.) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place eggplant slices in a single layer on several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle evenly with salt.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat to sauté the onion and garlic. Add 1/4 tsp. black pepper, oregano, cayenne pepper, flax seed and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine basil with the fat-free ricotta in a small bowl.
- Spread ½ cup tomato mixture into the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange four noodles over tomato mixture; top with half of eggplant and half of zucchini.
- Spread ricotta mixture over vegetables; cover with four noodles. Spread one cup tomato mixture over noodles; layer with remaining eggplant and zucchini slices.
- Arrange remaining four noodles over vegetables, and spread remaining tomato mixture over noodles.
- Top with mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until browned.
Serving Size: 10-12
Fat: 6 g
Sat fat: 2.2 g
Protein: 13 g
Fiber: 5 g
Recipe provided by Meridan Zerner, MS, RD, CSSD, LD, Cooper Clinic.