Skillet Burritos with Ground Turkey and Red Kidney Beans
View All Section Pages
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cups undiluted low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked quick brown rice
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 2 pieces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas, steamed
- Cook turkey, onion and green pepper in large skillet; stir in broth and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and beans. Return to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender.
- Stir in picante sauce and cheese.
- Serve with tortillas.
Yield: 10 servings
Nutritional Analysis (per serving):
Fat: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 47 g
Cholesterol: 33 mg
Sodium: 509 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Protein: 21 g
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services