Mediterranean Farro Pilaf with Sautéed Shrimp
View All Section Pages
- 2 cups dry pearled farro, quick-cook version
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (can also use shallots)
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup unsalted chicken broth
- 20 pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 3 tbsp. toasted pine nuts
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 lb. bag of frozen cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. unsalted chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the farro according to the package’s instructions.
*Tip: for more flavor, use unsalted chicken broth instead of water.
- Bring a large stainless steel pot to medium-high heat. Add olive oil and once warmed, sauté the onion, garlic, peppers and carrots for 5-8 minutes, stirring throughout.
- While the farro and veggies cook, chop the olives and prepare the lemon juice, chicken broth, feta and pine nuts.
- In another pan, heat the shrimp according to package instructions. Since it is pre-cooked, it should only take a few minutes to warm. Add the remaining ingredients to the shrimp and stir to coat.
- Once farro has finished cooked, drain the liquid.
- Add the cooked farro to the pot with the sautéed veggies.
- Stir in lemon juice, chicken broth, olives, feta, pine nuts, salt and pepper.
- Top with shrimp and serve.
Recipe provided by Lizzy Mungioli, RDN, LD.