Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Chicken & Rice
View All Section Pages
- 4-quart slow cooker
- Sauce pan
- Hand blender or immersion blender
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms
- 6 cups chicken broth (Zoup! brand)
- 1 ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ cup light olive oil based margarine (ex: Smart Balance brand)
- ½ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (ex: Trader Joe’s or King Arthur brand)
- 2 cups skim lactose free milk (ex: Fairlife brand)
- Rinse the wild rice.
- Place the uncooked wild rice, raw chicken, carrots, chicken broth and poultry seasoning in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours on low heat.
- At the 6 hour mark, add the mushrooms.
- After 7-8 hours the chicken should be cooked through and the rice should be soft. There will be extra liquid in the slow cooker—do not drain.
- At 8 hours, remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- When rice and chicken are done cooking, melt the margarine in a saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture bubble for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the skim milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms. You can then use a hand blender or immersion blender to make the mixture smooth with no lumps.
- Add this mixture to the rice and chicken in the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add extra water, milk or broth to adjust the consistency as you prefer (additional 2 cups of fluid recommended).
- Season with additional pepper to taste. Top with chives and serve, optional.
1 serving = 1 ½ cup
Total Fat 5.4 g
Saturated Fat 1.7 g
Sodium 531.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
Fiber 1.5 g
Protein 16.2 g
No added sugar
Recipe provided by Gillian White, RDN, LD, CNSC, and Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services.