Authentic Herb and Olive Oil Infused Italian Capri Sauce Recipe
View All Section Pages
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups fresh asparagus pieces (trim spears and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 cups sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 cups fresh spinach (packed tight)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. chicken base
- 2 1/4 cups water (divided use)
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts (water packed), drained and quartered
- Heat olive oil in large saute pan. Add mushrooms, asparagus and tomatoes, and saute for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, pepper, Italian seasoning and 2 cups water and continue to cook for an additional 3- to 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix corn starch with remaining 1/4 cup water.
- Add cornstarch mixture to vegetable and water mixture and stir well. Add bay leaf and artichoke hearts and simmer until thickened into a nice sauce.
- When ready to serve, remove bay leaf and adjust seasonings to taste.
Capri sauce tastes wonderful on top of grilled chicken breasts. We like to serve this meal with quinoa, and roasted asparagus and red bell pepper.
Nutritional Analysis (serves six):
Sodium: 700 mg
Fat: 3 g
Fiber: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Protein: 5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services