Butternut Chickpea Mac ’N Cheese
View All Section Pages
- 10 oz. chickpea or lentil noodles
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil based butter or margarine spread
- 1 Tbsp. gluten free or whole wheat flour
- 10 oz. bag (2 cups) of cubed butternut squash, can be fresh or thawed from frozen
- 2 oz. (1/2 cup packed) smoked Gouda cheese (or cheddar)* (*You can use reduced fat cheese; due to the small quantity in the recipe we used full fat cheese.)
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste (optional)
- Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning (optional)
- Parsley (optional)
- Prepare the noodles according to package directions, drain and reserve 2 cups of pasta water.
- In pot over medium heat, melt butter and then add wheat flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Whisk in 1 cup of reserved pasta water.
- Add squash and cook/mash until smooth. Add additional pasta water as needed to make smooth cheese-like consistency. (You can use a hand blender or food processor once butternut squash is cooked if needed.)
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Fold in cooked noodles until fully combined. Season with salt if desired.
- Garnish with black pepper or sprinkle with Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning blend and fresh parsley, if desired.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 cup
Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 54 g
Protein: 19 g
Fiber: 11 g
Recipe provided by Gillian White, RDN, LD, CNSC, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services.