Fiber-Rich and Flavorful Black Bean and Jicama Slaw Burgers
View All Section Pages
Black Bean Burger Ingredients:
- 1 (16 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. green Tabasco
- 4 whole grain buns
- Mash beans with a fork. Mix in onion, bread crumbs, coriander, cumin, chili powder, salt, cilantro and Tabasco.
- Using moistened hands, shape bean mixture into four patties.
- Preheat broiler. Brush with oil. Grill burgers until heated through, about three to four minutes per side.
- Serve on whole grain buns with jicama slaw.
Jicama Slaw Ingredients:
- 2 cups finely shredded jicama
- 1/2 cup finely shredded red onion
- 3 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl. Toss well and refrigerate until ready for use.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Analysis (per serving):
Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Recipe provided by Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services.