Deliciously Rich Avocado Brownies
View All Section Pages
Feel free to swap in different toppings such as nuts or seeds, dried fruit, or even coconut shreds. These brownies are good for up to a week in the refrigerator or a few months in the freezer.
- 2 medium, ripe avocados skin and pit removed (halve the avocado and scoop out with a spoon)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set aside a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a food processor, add the avocado, maple syrup and sugar. Blend well. Then add the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix well so that all of the ingredients are blended together. Make sure to scrape the sides for any remnants.
- Gently add in the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa and mix well.
- Turn off the processor and remove the blade. Stir in the chocolate chips using a spoon or spatula.
- Spread the batter into the pan evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done. Test the middle of the batter with a knife or toothipick to make sure nothing sticks.
- Remove from heat and let cool before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
Recipe provided by Meridan Zerner, MS, RDN, CSSD, LD.