Healthy Bran Muffins with Mixed Fruit, Walnuts and Flaxseeds
View All Section Pages
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 3/4 cup Hodgson Mill oat bran
- 1 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cup chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted walnut halves, crush
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 thin-skinned orange,unpeeled and quartered
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and the next 8 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl and stir well with a whisk. Add carrots, apples, nuts and dried cranberries.
- Combine milk, oil, vanilla, egg whites and orange in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, add milk mixture, and stir until moist.
- Spoon 3 Tbsp. of muffin batter into each of 28 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake in batches for 20 minutes or until browned and spring back when touched lightly in the center.
- Remove the muffins from pans immediately and place on a wire rack.
Nutritional Analysis (1 muffin):
Fat: 3 g (24%)
Protein: 3.6 g
Carbohydrates: 23 g
Fiber: 3 g
Omega-3: 0.5 g
Recipe provided by Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services.