Healthier Hash Brown Casserole with Canadian Bacon and Cheddar
View All Section Pages
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1-2 lb. bag frozen hash browns
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 4 oz. Canadian bacon, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 ounces (1 cup) reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add hash browns, onions, and green peppers. Cook until potatoes begin to brown.
- Spread potato mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Add Canadian bacon, egg substitute, salt and pepper; stir to coat all ingredients with egg.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate over night.
- Bake, covered for 30 to 40 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove foil and bake for 5 minutes, or until egg mixture is set.
Protein: 14 g
Fat: 5 g (1 gm sat, 2 gm mono)
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Carbohydrate: 22 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 550 mg
Recipe provided by Veronica C. Coronado with Patty Kirk, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic (Published in More of What's Cooking at Cooper Clinic)