View All Section Pages
CooperFit: Fitness is a Vital Sign™
The science is clear—fitness is a vital sign. Research shows being fit in midlife* provides:
- Improved quality of life
- Decreased risk of dying from all causes
- Decreased risk of chronic disease such as heart disease and cancer
- Decreased risk of dementia and later-life depression
*Research from the Cooper Center Longitudinal Study
Just as blood pressure, cholesterol and other biometric markers assess an individual’s health, measuring their cardiovascular fitness is an essential and critical component to preventing, diagnosing and treating illness.
“Understanding your fitness can add years to your life while adding life to your years with CooperFit.”
– Tyler C. Cooper, MD, MPH, President and CEO of Cooper Aerobics
CooperFit is a cardiovascular fitness test that provides an accurate prediction of a patient’s fitness level by measuring their predicted VO2 max or aerobic capacity. Based on 50 years of research from Cooper Clinic, aerobic capacity can be used to provide a patient’s level of fitness in one of six categories:
- Very Poor
CooperFit is performed on a treadmill with the patient running or walking for a specified period of time while wearing a heart rate monitor to measure their VO2.
Beyond the Test
Once a patient’s fitness level is determined, the CooperFit program provides cardiovascular exercise recommendations specific to that individual with a retest performed at 12 weeks for those who fall in the very poor or poor categories.
In a clinical setting, CooperFit provides:
- New vital sign test – accurate cardiovascular fitness score
- Opportunity to advance the health and well-being of your patients
- Minimal physician time/involvement
- Easy-to-understand cardiovascular exercise program recommendations
Call 972.560.3263 or complete our online form to learn more about CooperFit.